Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Yin/Yang

Is it spring yet?  I think it's trying to be.  It's warmer and raining and I think the snow is melting a little.  But even though I know warmer sunny days are coming, it's still gray and depressing (and cold!) outside.  What a treat to spend my Sunday morning in a light, heated yoga room with Kate, whose childlike cheer is infectious.  You can resist her if you want, but eventually your grump melts away with your sweat and you leave Yin/Yang yoga with a smile. 

Also, don't be fooled by the gentler, slower tempo of the class.  Your muscles still get an excellent workout from the stretching and extended holds.  It requires almost as much mental as physical strength to stay present in the poses  and to relax where your body's first instinct is to tighten or resist. 

The change in pace is supremely beneficial to competitive types (like me) who want to push hard and be the best at everything, rather than relax and take a more mindful approach to their practice.  I am so grateful to have so many complementary styles of yoga--both in style and pace--available to me.

Positive Pose: Prayer Twist
I can't claim to be doing this pose exactly right.  There are probably several minor adjustments that would make my prayer twist experience better, but man, it felt really good today.  The low lunge stretching through my hip flexor and the spiraling, twisting motion stretching through my back--this was just what the doctor ordered on a gray Sunday for the girl with tight hips.  Ahhhhh.

Struggle Pose: Pigeon
Again, I have rather tight hips.  I can get into this pose just fine and can be comfortable in the stretch for a time, but extended holds, as my body eases deeper into the posture, can get very painful.  It took a lot of mental strength today to remain in the pose and focus on my breathing.  Engaging my breath and drawing my attention to "Inhale, exhale.  Inhale, exhale," kept me from rocketing out of this posture.  It certainly wasn't easy, but I suppose this is the type of physical meditation one seeks in a yoga class.  There just wasn't room for any other thoughts!  My hips sure do feel loose and stretched now, though.

I told Vicki I would bring my camera in tomorrow.  So if you're nice to me, maybe we'll take some "before" pose pictures to compare with some "after" pictures towards the end of my challenge. 

Bikram yoga tomorrow!

-Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment