Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 10: Progress!

I must have had a productive day of rest because I had an excellent practice today!  I noticed improvement in every single pose today--still not at the fullest expression of most of the postures, but I'm getting there, albeit slowly.  I am awesome.

Also, I'm down 1.5lbs!  And it's only been 10 days!  Yay!  I'll take some halfway measurements this weekend and we'll see if I've made any other progress.

Breathing was a bit of a struggle today.  Initial breathing felt fine, but I think I might have pushed a little too hard in half moon.  I got really, really deep into the pose--to the point where my lungs were compressed and I could not breathe enough to maintain the effort it took to stay that far in the pose.  The compression would have been fine if I were more flexible and didn't need to work so hard to get there. It sure looked pretty, but I didn't have enough self-awareness to back off where it was needed. 

Then I felt like I was playing catch-up for the rest of the standing series, never quite getting enough oxygen to reach my fullest potential.  So, although I saw progress in every posture today, I probably could have seen more had I not pushed so hard in the beginning of my practice.

Next time, if it hurts, I'm going to back off a bit.  Competition, you're getting checked at the door next time.  I don't need your help.

Struggle Pose: Half Moon
See above.  I am going to strike a healthy balance in this pose one day, darn it.

Positive Pose: All of Them!
Man, I felt like a rockstar today.  Why, yes I can kick my leg up higher.  Up one more inch?  No problem!  Special mention goes to Standing Forehead to Knee, when I was able to keep my forehead on my knee for a good two seconds before I fell over (yeah!) and to Toe Stand.  Today, I had both hands up on prayer and met my own gaze in the mirror for several seconds (yeah! x2).



Tomorrow's another day of rest and then hopefully I'll be able to rock Saturday's class as well as I did this one.  My hamstrings will probably try to hold me back, but I'm going to stay optimistic. ;-)

-Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment