Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Make up Wednesday

Oh dear, 7pm is just too late for me.  I'm glad it works well with others' schedules, but it sure doesn't work with mine.  If I'm not fed--or on my way to being fed--by 7pm, I turn into Cranky Allie and nobody wants to see that.  Vicki might tell Cranky Allie to bend to the right into half moon and she would say "No!  I don't wanna!"  Or, even worse, Cranky Allie might actually escalate the ongoing turf war over parking spaces with the karate people next door.

Since I got out of work around 5:15, I thought that in order to avoid the above scenarios, it might be a good idea to get a small dinner.  I got myself a small grilled chicken sandwich and enjoyed it while working on a sock and waiting for Hart Yoga to open.  The immediate result was that I was wide awake, ready to work, and, most importantly, not hungry.  The eventual result was not so positive.

Little did I know that while I was doing so well in the standing series, this sandwich was slowly making its way toward my stomach, eager to sabotage my efforts on the floor.  I felt everything.  Most of the spine strengthening series was a test of wills between me and that sandwich.  It billowed and gurgled as I lay on my stomach, sending nausea throughout my system.  It urged me, "You don't like locust anyway.  If it's too uncomfortable, just sit this one out."

I told it, "No, you're not so bad.  I know I can do this."

Sandwich oozed and shifted and replied, "C'mooon *burble* It's just one posture.  Give up just a little bit."

Unwilling to yield to Sandwich's demands, I powered through the whole spine strengthening series.  I centered my attention on my breath and alignment and not on the evil entree in my stomach.  I did not puke, even with my forearms pressed unmercilessly into my stomach.  In fact, my determination increased with each posture so much that my Floor Bow was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.  That is, until Vicki told us to set up Fixed Firm and I could get off my stomach again.







If I come to the 7pm class again, I need to remember to either eat earlier or eat lighter and drink plenty of water.  No yoga class is much fun with a bellyful of maniacal foodstuffs.

More Bikram tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment