Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lunar Sunday

In honor of yesterday's Super Moon, Kate themed today's class around lunar salutations and a feminine, receiving, lunar energy.  It fit perfectly into a Yin/Yang class, but was little bit ironic since today was the first time in a while I was able to convince Hubby to come with me to class. 

He really didn't like the Bikram series.  Since his hamstrings and hips basically make mine look like jelly and the Bikram series requires loose, strong hamstrings, I can completely understand.  I thought he might like Yin/Yang better because it's less intense, but he still had a tough time.  Part of the problem was that he doesn't have a lot of experience with the yoga poses and flows, so it took him a little while to catch on. 

He sure was a trooper, though, and did not give up or leave the room the entire time, despite feeling tight, sweaty, and humbled.  He rolled his eyes at most of the talk about tapping into lunar energy (always the sensitive one, my husband), but I think once he figured Downward-Facing Dog, he was much more confident and enjoyed himself (a little bit).  I asked him later how he did and what he liked best.  Turns out the only pose he actually liked was Shoulder Stand because it didn't require hip/hamstring flexibility and he felt like he was doing it right.  He then added, "I will say this for yoga, it makes me smellier than anything else."  Delicious.  Thanks, Honey.  We'll see if I'm able to bring him back again...

I, however, enjoyed the entire class.  It was just enough to get my heart rate going, but plenty relaxing for a Sunday morning.  The lunar salutations were really cool.  I'd never done one before and it was nice to try something different and tap into a more passive, female energy than I do in other classes.  I am that athletic, overachiever crazy person who needs the gentle reminder that it's okay to take it slow and smell the proverbial roses throughout my practice.  I tend to shoot right into my fullest expression of postures and don't take stock of how each micro-movement feels.  I miss my body's signals and don't always give it what it wants.  Today's class was methodical and attentive and exactly what I needed.  There weren't any poses that struck me as especially good or especially bad today--they all informed and built my practice in their own way.  Thank you Kate for a lovely class this morning. 

Bikram Yoga tomorrow

-Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment